Neosporin can be used topically on minor scarpes and cuts in dogs to treat the wounds. Have you ever applied Neosporin to a cut or wound on your dog, only to catch them licking the medication off?
So, what happens if a dog licks Neosporin?
We outline what happens if a dog licks Neosporin, the possible side effects, and what you should do if you suspect your dog has ingested this medication.
Here’s what happens if a dog licks Neosporin
If a dog licks Neosporin, it is generally not harmful but it may cause mild gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting or diarrhea and an allergic reaction, including hives, and swelling. In severe cases, a dog may experience seizures, lethargy, loss of appetite, and difficulty in breathing.
In most cases, licking Neosporin will not cause any serious harm to your dog. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and contact your veterinarian if your dog ingests the ointment.
What is Neosporin?
Neosporin is a brand name for a topical antibiotic ointment that is used to prevent or treat skin infections. It is a commonly used over-the-counter medication for humans, but it can also be used for pets, including dogs.
The ointment contains three active ingredients: neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, and bacitracin zinc. These antibiotics work together to kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria that may cause infections in wounds or skin irritations.
The use of Neosporin for dogs is only recommended under the guidance of a veterinarian, as some dogs may be allergic to its ingredients.
It is often used to help prevent or treat minor skin infections and on minor cuts to prevent infection especially those caused by bacteria that are susceptible to the antibiotics in Neosporin.
What Happens If A Dog Licks Neosporin?
If a dog licks Neosporin off their skin, it is generally not harmful, but a dog may experience a range of symptoms including a mild stomach upset resulting in vomiting or diarrhea.
Some dogs may be allergic to one or more of the antibiotics in Neosporin, which can cause skin irritation, itching, or even anaphylactic shock in severe cases.
If a dog ingests a large amount of Neosporin or the ointment contains other active ingredients that are toxic to dogs (such as corticosteroids), it can lead to Neosporin poisoning and more serious health problems.
Symptoms of Neosporin poisoning in dogs can vary depending on the amount ingested, and the individual dog’s size, age, and health status.
Some common signs of Neosporin poisoning in dogs include:
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy or weakness
- Tremors or muscle twitching
- Disorientation or confusion
- Increased thirst or urination
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and/or eyes)
- Difficulty breathing or respiratory distress
- Allergic reaction
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after they have ingested Neosporin, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention.
Can Neosporin Kill a Dog?
Neosporin cannot kill a dog and is generally safe for dogs when used appropriately, however, it can be harmful or even deadly in certain circumstances when ingested in large amounts..
When a dog ingests large amounts it can lead to more serious health problems, including organ damage or failure.
Overall, it is important to always follow the advice of a veterinarian and to monitor your dog closely for any signs of adverse reactions or health problems, especially after they have ingested a foreign substance.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested a large amount of Neosporin or is experiencing any signs of poisoning or allergic reaction, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention.
What To Do If Dog Licks Neosporin
If your dog licks Neosporin off their skin, there are a few steps you can take to ensure their safety and prevent any potential health problems:
Observe your dog
Watch your dog for any signs of adverse reactions or digestive upset, such as vomiting or diarrhea. If your dog seems to be acting normally and is not showing any symptoms, it is likely that they will be fine.
Call your veterinarian
If your dog has ingested a large amount of Neosporin or is showing any signs of poisoning or allergic reaction, call your veterinarian right away for guidance.
They may recommend bringing your dog in for an examination or providing instructions for monitoring your dog’s condition.
How to prevent your dog from licking Neosporin
It can be challenging to stop a dog from licking Neosporin, as the ointment has a pleasant smell and taste that may attract dogs. However, there are a few things you can do to help prevent your dog from licking the medication and potentially ingesting it:
Use an Elizabethan collar
An Elizabethan collar (also known as a “cone of shame”) can help prevent your dog from accessing the affected area and licking the medication.
These collars are available in most pet stores and come in a variety of sizes to fit your dog’s neck.
Cover the injured area if possible
You can also try covering the area with a clean bandage or cloth to reduce the likelihood of your dog licking the medication off.
Distract your dog
Sometimes, distracting your dog with toys or treats can help redirect their attention away from the affected area.
Offer your dog a puzzle toy or a chew toy to keep them occupied and prevent them from licking the medication.
Safely store medication
Keep Neosporin medication out of reach of your dog.
Licking Neosporin will not cause any serious harm to your dog however it may cause some symptoms depending on the amount ingested and an individual dog’s reaction to the active ingredients of the medication
If you suspect that your dog has ingested a large amount of Neosporin or is experiencing any signs of poisoning, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention.
Overall, while Neosporin can be safe for dogs in certain situations, it is important to always seek and follow the advice of your veterinarian on the use of the medication on your dog and to monitor your dog for any signs of adverse reactions or poisoning.